Friday, September 7, 2012

Fireworks In My Yard

I sure love my Dahlias.  You'll probably read about them a few more times while they are in bloom for the next couple of months.  Yep, it's Dahlia season, one of my favorite times of the year!  I absolutely love watching each one open up and say hello to the world.  The only thing that drives my nuts is the aphids...they love my Dahlias too but I really don't want to share my flowers with these horrid little bugs. LOL  I'm sure you all feel the same way. I've used a few different things to get rid of them but it seems like I'll treat the plants with "Good Earth" or just a soap and water spray and it will work for awhile but it doesn't take long for the bugs to come back.  Last year I used some bug sprays from the store that's supposed to wipe them out but it was the same as this year, just last for a very short time and then those bugs are right back at what they do best...eating my plants!!!  Does anybody have any suggestions that may help with this problem?  I know if I get Lady Bugs that will help but what if I still need to spray the plants if the Lady Bugs aren't getting them all?  Won't that kill the Lady Bugs too?  Anyway, bugs aside, watching each Dahlia opening is like watching fireworks on the 4th of July.  Some of them look like a firework bursting open in the sky!  Love it!!!  Dahlias are also great for gloomy days....just look at one and boom....instant smile on your face! 

No comments:

Post a Comment